In September, Tasha Rosales received devastating news that her cousin, Tyler Chase, had died from a drug overdose. However, three months later, she discovered that the body was not Chase’s after all.
Chase had been staying at a rehab center and was sober for several months. One day, while trying to use his food stamps at a department store, he realized his credit card was no longer active. Suspicious of something amiss, he went to authorities to resolve the issue. To his shock, he was informed that a death certificate had been filed in his name.
The Portland Police were contacted and they went to the rehab center where Chase was staying to investigate the situation. It turned out that a man living at the rehab center had died from an overdose and had been mistakenly identified as Chase. His family was notified of his death and the body was cremated without being properly identified.
Rosales was initially convinced that the news of her cousin being alive was a hoax until she saw him herself. The entire ordeal led her to raise over a thousand dollars for his cremation. Chase eventually found work in Portland helping the homeless, noting how easily he could have met the same fate as the man who had been mistakenly identified as him.
The Multnomah County spokesperson expressed deep regret for the misidentification and new procedures were put in place to prevent such errors from happening again in the future.